How to get rid of rats and mice.
Living in Sydney, chances are you have seen your fair share of rodents over the years. Sydney has a serious rodent (rats and mice) issue now even move so with all the construction going on at the moment. This means there is even more rodent pressure around residential and commercial sites across the region than ever before. This is why it’s so important for home and business owners to be proactive when it comes to rodent control.
The professional pest controllers at Clean and Green Pest Control specialise in safe and effective rodent control for both residential and commercial properties across all Sydney suburbs.
We have a strong focus on the safety of non-target animals such as cats, dogs and native animals so you know are you and your pets and native wildlife are in safe hands when our pest control experts are called upon to eradicate rats and mice at your home or workplace.
Why rodents (rats & mice) are dangerous
Disease carriers – rats and mice have the potential to transmit approximately 45 diseases, some of them potentially fatal. The most notorious is doubtless the plague (or “Black Death”)
Consumption and contamination of foodstuffs – rodents can be the difference between life and death for all too many people throughout the world even today! This is because of their habit of eating human food , they contaminate food through there droppings , urine and shed hairs which poses a significant risk of spreading potential fatal diseases
Physical damage – It is estimated that 1/5th of world’s fires caused by unknown origin are caused by rodents gnawing on electrical wires.
Fear reaction – it is a normal human feeling to shy away from rats or mice running free but, some people are more sensitive than others. “Don’t worry;” is a frequent comment, “They’re more frightened of you than you are of them.”
Evidence you may have a rat or mice infestation
Droppings : New rodent droppings are shiny and pliable and within 2-3 days become dull and hard. Mouse droppings are 3-6mm long and have pointed ends. Rat droppings are up to 12mm long and have blunted ends.
Rub Marks : These are greasy smear marks and they are caused when rodents rub their fur against vertical surfaces such as walls
Burrows:Rat burrows are normally found next to waterways and buildings.
Sounds : Rats and Mice are normally heard at night and they include squeaking in the case of mice and clawing and gnawing in the case of rats.
Nest : A rodent nest is usually made of rags and paper and cardboard.
Gnawing : Rats gnaw to keep their incisors down and use wood, metal, conduit and cables in order to do this. When rats gnaw cables for instance this can expose bare wires and cause short circuits or fires.
Urine : Rats dot their environment with tiny drops of urine, called urine marking, or scent marking. Urine marking is a form of chemical communication. Urine is full of information about the rat who produced it: its species, sex, age, reproductive status, sexual availability, social status, individual identity, and current stress level, as well as the age of the scent mark itself.
Know your rodents
The bad guys
- Black Rat / roof rat (Rattus rattus)
- Brown Rat or Norway Rat (Rattus norvegicus)
- House mouse (Mus musculus)
The good guys
- Bush Rat (Rattus fuscipes)
- Water Rat (Hydromyschrysogaster)
- Swamp Rat (Rattus lutreolus)
Wildlife and pet safe rodent control
The professional rodent pest controllers at Clean and Green Pest Control are dedicated to the preservation of Australian native wildlife and are acutely aware of the risks of secondary poisoning of non-target animals such as dogs, cats, possums and predatory birds such as owl from rodent baits.
We specialise in safe efficient rat & mouse control which bring the risk of secondary poisoning to none target animals to almost zero. More information about our wildlife safe pest control services »
How do we do this?
- First, we will conduct a full inspect of the site and perform a full risk assessment to insure our treatment plan won’t effect any non-target animals
- Baits will be placed in secure areas where there is no chance of any non-target animals accessing the baits if there is any risk of this happening baits will be placed in secure lockable stations
- Clean and Green Pest Control only use the safest multi dose bait formulations such as Racuminby, Bayer or Roban these differ to single dose baits used by most pest control firms as well as sold in super markets and hardware stores the difference with multi dose baits is that they are metabolised by the rodent as it takes effect, meaning that the residue levels are much lower. Lower residues mean much greater lower secondary poisoning risk.
The types of mouse and rat baits
Single feed rat and mouse baits : These contain chemicals sufficiently toxic to kill the rat with the first dose. These types of poisons are the most dangerous to use and pose the greatest of secondary poisoning (poisoning other animals).
Multi feed rat and mouse baits : rodents must feed on the baits for several days before accumulating a lethal dose. The advantage of multi-dose is a significantly reduced risk of secondary poisoning of non-target species.
Low residues reduce secondary poisoning risk
# Clear safety track record:A scientific study was conducted where dogs were fed multi dose-poisoned rats for either one day or three consecutive days. The results showed noill effects on the dogs*. In more than 30 years of use in Australia multi dose bait formulations have had a clear safety record for secondary poisonings.
Rodent treatment methods
Depending upon the degree of your rat or mouse infestation, we may employ one or several of the treatments listed below:
Baits : We will set up rodent bait stations at various strategic locations in and around the buildings. These rodent bait stations securely hold the bait within the station which means that secondary poisoning of non target animals are greatly reduced to almost zero.
Snap Traps: We can set up specially designed humane snap traps where baits cannot be used which will need to be monitored daily
Live trapping: we can use live humane cages if we suspect native rodent are present and relocate them away from your property.
Tracking Powders : Sometimes we may need to use rodent tracking powders and pastes to apply to burrows and rub marks .
What to expect after the treatment?
- It can take up to 2-3 weeks to completely rid rodents from your property. This is because we need to allow time for the rodents to find the bait and consume the bait for it to work.
- Death typically occurs 4-6 days after the rodents have ingested the bait this allows time for the affected rodent to leave the building and die elsewhere typically 80-90% will die elsewhere as intended.
So if you only have a few rats living in your roof then you’d be very unlucky to have one die in your roof, if you have multiple rats the risk is increased
- When rodents live you in your roof or subfloor they let of pheromones that will attract other rodents to the areas this why we place not only enough bait to kill the current infestation but enough for any future infestations so if you hear noises a few months later. Don’t panic at first unless the noise persists for more than a week. Baits can’t stop rodents entering your house just get rid of them once they’re in
YOUR GUARANTEE : At Clean and Green Pest Control we give our customers a 3 month free service period on all our internal rodent treatments. If you continue to have issues after our treatment we will come back free of charge! To book a rat or mouse control and treatment assessment, call or text David on 0477 688 496.
Pet and wildlife safe rat and mouse control and eradication services.
If you have any questions about removing rodents from your home or business premises, contact the team at Clean and Green Pest Management for obligation free advice. We are your local Northern Beaches pest controllers specialising in both traditional and the green pest control methods that are safe for your family and pets. Our licensed pest controllers can advise you on the safest and most sustainable ways to control pests including cockroaches, ants, fleas, silverfish, fleas, spiders, ticks, wasps and bed bug eradication. We can also assist with possum removal and bird control methods. We strive to give you the best experience possible in terms of value for money, explanation and clear communication about how we plan to implement our services and pest control treatments. Click here for a pest removal quote or click the buttons below to get in touch.